We recently started creating branding boards (aka Style Guides) for clients as part of website design projects and have realized what an indispensable tool they are. The overall end result is a very cohesive branding image that extends well beyond the website. The branding board is essentially a design guide that identifies the company’s key branding ingredients. These guides can be distributed to anyone involved in creating materials for the company – from business cards to social media imagery.
Key elements of the branding board include:
- Color palette: should incorporate 1-3 primary colors plus 2 or more secondary colors
- Typefaces: Headings, Body and Accent font families as well as bold or italic variations
- Logo variations: vertical or horizontal options, social media variations, black and white version
Other optional elements:
- Icon sets
- Button: style (squared, rounded, etc.) and color
- Tone of Voice: a descriptive definition like playful, conservative, etc.